Eye Problems in Children: Signs to Look For
One Sign: Rubbing Eyes
Parents are often the first to notice vision problems in a young child. A vision exam may be needed if your child:.
- Is clumsy (beyond normal toddler clumsiness) and fails to notice new things around him or her.
- Squints when the light is not bright or scrunches up his or her face when trying to do a task.
- Rubs his or her eyes when the child is not tired (rubbing eyes when tired is normal).
- Squints when the light is turned on or stares at lights.
- Has excessive tearing when not crying.
- Has frequent eye infections, swollen eyelids, or frequent styes. Conjunctivitis (pinkeye) is a common problem in children.
- Has eyes that seem to bulge, bounce, or dance in rapid regular movements.
- Often tilts the head to one side as though trying to see better.
- Often covers one eye or shuts one eye because he or she is uncomfortable. All children will sometimes cover or close an eye to experiment with their vision and see how the world looks with only one eye open.
- Avoids tasks or play that requires good vision, like looking at books.
- Holds books or toys too close or sits too close to the TV screen.
- Has eyes that look mismatched or crossed or that don't move together.
- Has pupils that are not the same size or that appear white instead of black.
Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston.
Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Pediatric Optometrist in Houston, Pediatric Eye Clinic, Pedro Gomez OD, Pediatric Optometry in Houston, Ortho-K Doctor in Houston, Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Doctor in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Doctor in Houston, Ortho-K Specialized in Houston, Orthokeratology Specialized in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Specialized in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Specialized in Houston, Keratoconus Therapy in Houston, Keratoconus Doctor in Houston, Keratoconus Specialized in Houston, Wave Contact Lenses in Houston, Eye Conditions Therapy in Houston, Amblyopia Therapy in Houston, Conjunctivitis Therapy in Houston, Strabismus treatment in Houston, Dry Eye treatment in Houston