Vision problems of preschool children
Pediatric Optometrist in Houston
During the preschool years from ages 3 to 6, your child will be fine-tuning the vision and visual skills he already has developed during the infant and toddler years.
Preschool vision tasks vary with a child's age and activities. For example, many young preschoolers are learning to ride tricycles and master the complex eye-hand coordination needed to pedal, steer and watch where they're going at the same time.
Older preschoolers are learning how to integrate vision and body motions (motor skills) by playing sports such as softball and soccer (keep your eye on the ball!), and working on the fine motor skills needed to write their names.
If you have children between the ages of 3 and 6, be aware of these warning signs of possible preschool vision problems:
- Consistently sitting too close to the TV or holding a book too close
- Tilting the head to see better
- Frequently rubbing eyes, even when not sleepy
- Shielding eyes or other signs of
- Excessive tearing and
- Closing one eye to read, watch TV or see better
- Avoiding activities that require near vision, such as coloring or reading, or distance vision, such as playing ball or tag
- Complaining of headaches or tired eyes
The most common preschool vision problems are refractive errors:
- Farsightedness is common in young children. If uncorrected, significant farsightedness can lead to strabismus and amblyopia ("lazy eye").
- Nearsightedness (myopia) is another common preschool vision problem. Myopia causes distant objects to be blurry, like writing on a chalkboard in a classroom.
- Astigmatism causes blurry or distorted vision at all distances.
- Refractive errors affecting young children typically can be fully corrected with eyeglasses.
Pediatric Optometrist in Houston.
Myopia Alternatives, Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Pediatric Optometrist in Houston, Pediatric Eye Clinic, Pedro Gomez OD, Pediatric Optometry in Houston, Ortho-K Doctor in Houston, Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Doctor in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Doctor in Houston, Ortho-K Specialized in Houston, Orthokeratology Specialized in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Specialized in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Specialized in Houston, Keratoconus Therapy in Houston, Keratoconus Doctor in Houston, Keratoconus Specialized in Houston, Wave Contact Lenses in Houston, Strabismus treatment in Houston, Dry Eye treatment in Houston