Eye Care for Your Child
Reduce time spent in near work
- Reduce time spent on playing games in hand-held electronic devices, or handphone games and other computer-related activities such as blogging and internet chats.
- Encourage your child to take a break after 30-40 minutes of near work such as reading or writing. Your child should look at distant objects for 3 to 5 minutes. They could look out of the window into the distance.
Increase time spent on outdoor activities every day
- Increase time spent on outdoor activities like ball games, walks in the park or a family picnic at the beach, etc as there is emerging evidence that outdoor activities may delay the onset or progression of myopia in your child.
- Outdoor activities should not include reading or playing hand-held games outdoors. Instead, encourage your child to engage in fun activities that involve body movements to increase physical fitness.
Encourage other healthy eye care habits
- Ensure there is adequate lighting in the room.
- When reading, hold the book about 30 cm away from the eyes.
- Make sure when using the computer, the monitor screen is about 50 cm away from the eyes.
- Sit at a distance away from the TV that is appropriate to its size. The bigger the TV, the further away your child should sit.
Take your child for eye checkups yearly
Ensure a healthy lifestyle
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Have at least eight hours of sleep each night to rest the eyes.
- Instead of just playing computer games, participate in outdoor games as well.
Pediatric Optometrist in Houston.
Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Pediatric Optometrist in Houston, Pediatric Eye Clinic, Pedro Gomez OD, Pediatric Optometry in Houston, Ortho-K Doctor in Houston, Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Doctor in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Doctor in Houston, Ortho-K Specialized in Houston, Orthokeratology Specialized in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Specialized in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Specialized in Houston, Keratoconus Therapy in Houston, Keratoconus Doctor in Houston, Keratoconus Specialized in Houston, Wave Contact Lenses in Houston, Eye Conditions Therapy in Houston, Amblyopia Therapy in Houston, Conjunctivitis Therapy in Houston, Strabismus treatment in Houston, Dry Eye treatment in Houston