Are contact lenses safe for my children?
Pediatric Eye Clinic
As a parent, you may have some concerns about the safety of contact lenses for your child. Rest assured that they are perfectly safe and effective for use by children who require vision correction. The key here is that the lenses must be cleaned regularly and stored properly so that they remain safe, regardless of the age of the person wearing them. In fact, research has demonstrated that children as young as 8 years old are capable of handling and wearing contact lenses without any issues.
Factors to consider
- Adjusting to contact lenses can take some time and patience, so your child really has to want to use them.
- While it’s not overly complicated, keeping their lenses clean is something that your child will need to commit to each night.
- Contact lenses are designed to be comfortable, but they can become drier towards the end of the day and will need to be taken out as soon as possible.
Benefits of contact lenses for children
Like adults, children can also enjoy the great benefits of contact lenses.
- Wearing contact lenses can boost your child’s self-esteem and make them more comfortable with their appearance, especially if they feel awkward wearing glasses.
- Opting for contact lenses with UV protection has proven to reduce children’s risk of eye problems like cataracts and macular degeneration later on in their lifetime.
- Your child can wear lenses while playing sports as they will improve their field of vision and comfort level. Lenses also won’t get dirty or misty the way eyeglasses would and won’t shatter and potentially cause injury if your child falls or gets hit by a ball.
If you are considering contact lenses for your child, your optician will be able to talk you through the benefits and recommend the right lenses.
Pediatric Eye Clinic.
Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Pediatric Optometrist in Houston, Pediatric Eye Clinic, Pedro Gomez OD, Pediatric Optometry in Houston, Ortho-K Doctor in Houston, Orthokeratology Doctor in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Doctor in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Doctor in Houston, Ortho-K Specialized in Houston, Orthokeratology Specialized in Houston, Non Surgical Corneal Molding Specialized in Houston, Non-Surgical Vision Correction Specialized in Houston, Keratoconus Therapy in Houston, Keratoconus Doctor in Houston, Keratoconus Specialized in Houston, Wave Contact Lenses in Houston, Eye Conditions Therapy in Houston, Amblyopia Therapy in Houston, Conjunctivitis Therapy in Houston, Strabismus treatment in Houston, Dry Eye treatment in Houston.